Re: How to recover from crash (urgent for me)

In message <[🔎] 001d01bf5aaa$729b8c40$3a07643e@famengel>
          "Fam. Engelen" <engelen@hotpop.com> wrote:

> After having crashed my slink-with-a-bit-potato, the following
> appears on boot:
>
> ---
> /dev/hda5 contains a fs with errors, check forced.
> /dev/hda5: Inode 87941 has illegal block(s).
>
> UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>         (i.e., without -a or -p options)
>
> fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Please note that
> the root filesystem is currently mounted read-only. To remount it
> read-write:
>         mount -n -o remount,rw /
> ---

At this point you should find you have a shell, or a request to enter
the root password so you can get a shell. Type 'fsck -c /dev/hda5',
and sit back and watch. Enter 'y' if fsck asks if you want to fix
something. When it finished, run it again to check everything is
still ok - it shouldn't fix anything this time - if it does, you
probably have bigger problems (such as imminent hardware failure).

Once you're happy, hit ctrl-D and the system should bootup normally.

bfn,

Joseph

--
Joseph Heenan, Coventry, UK              http://www.ping.demon.co.uk/