java doesn't work for 2.2.13

I am running a straight slink system using a custom 2.2.12 kernel. My
java development and execution using jdk-1.1 and jdk-1.1-native has been
going fine.

After I compiled a 2.2.13 kernel using my same config and installed it,
I could no longer run any java apps. I always get the following error:

Can't create /proc/xxx for GC

where xxx looks like a process id.

It looks like the JVM cannot create a thread for the garbage
collector....? I do have the proc filesystem configured and other
processes look normal in thee.

Does anyone have the answer? I can continue my work using my 2.2.12
kernel but I would like to upgrade.

Thanks,
Michael Laing