Re: What does this mean?

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 09:06:50PM -0800, Mark Symonds wrote:
> Saw this in the logs:
>
> VFS: Disk change detected on device 16:40
>
> What does it mean?

It means that a disk change was detected. 16 and 40 are hex numbers,
which correspond to 22 and 64 decimal. Then, from
Documentation/devices.txt in the kernel sources:
 22 [[... SNIP ...]]
    block       Second IDE hard disk/CD-ROM interface
                  0 = /dev/hdc          Master: whole disk (or CD-ROM)
                 64 = /dev/hdd          Slave: whole disk (or CD-ROM)

So, 16:40 corresponds to /dev/hdd. You probably changed CDs in the
CD-ROM attached as slave to the second IDE interface.

> VFS might mean "Virtual File System" but what about the rest of it?

That'd be my guess, but i could easily be wrong... Anyone know for sure?

> And does VFS = swap?

Nope, swap space isn't in the file system... And if your swap space is
on a media that has a disk change, something's probably not right...

--
  finger for GPG public key.
  8 Jan 2000 - Old email addresses removed from key, new added