Living la video loca

I spent this afternoon tweaking my home computer.  I've got some nice
stuff which is basically working but could be optimized more.

Case in point, I have a 32MB Diamond Viper V770 AGP video card which is
based on the Riva TNT chipset.  I used SVGATextMode to set up my consoles
for 80x50.  With a card like that I know I can do a lot better but try as
I might I could not get the dot clocks right.  After some research I
decided to recompile my kernel with framebuffer support as that seems to
be the superior way of going about this.  Now I have a fbcon-vga
module.  I created the fb devices with MAKEDEV which seems to have worked
correctly.  however when I use fbset--even as root--it tells me:

open /dev/fb0: No such device

ls -la /dev/fb0 looks like this:

crw--w--w-    1 root     tty       29,   0 Jan  7 02:58 /dev/fb0

The module does not appear to get loaded.  If I explicitly do an insmod it
still doesn't work.

How do I get my framebuffer working?  (This is kernel 2.2.13 btw)

Next question, in XFree86 3.3.5 with KDE2 pre-release .debs compiled from
CVS on 12/30/99, I have the SVGA X server set up at 32bpp.  However the
KDE control panel says the depth is 24bpp.  Is this an Xserver problem, a
KDE problem, or is it normal?

Lastly, what combination of Mesa and other libraries do I need to play
quake optimally with this card?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>