Re: Soft ejects

Disclaimer: Some of this can probably be interpreted
as flame bait.  So let 'er rip =)

>> > I've hever been able to open a CD drive without
unmounting the
volume -- the
>> > drawer won't open.
>>
>> Along the same lines....this is the one mechanism
of mac/sun/other(?)
>> floppies that I would like to see somehow on x86
machines.  I would
much
>> rather have a 'soft' eject button like on a cdrom
or a software eject
>> like the mac/sun floppies rather than a mechanical
eject like on the
x86
>> floppies.

Okay, you want the "machine is smarter" deal.
shouldn't you be on a Windoze list instead of here? =}

>> Does anybody know the fundemental reasons why the
x86 platform has
not
>> adopted such a setup?

Because it bloody sux.  I need to power up my bloody
machine just to take the bloody disc out, and if
something goes wrong and I can't umount, I have to
stick a GD pin in the manual eject hole.  Heaven
forbid that my floppy drive should ever suffer the
same fate.
The bottom line is, it isn't appropriate for my
machine to be making decisions as to whether it is
appropriate to eject a dis(k/c) or not.  I should be
making those decisions because the machine is
unreliable and if I make a bad decision then I, as the
user, am the one who has to pay for my ignorance.
Many windows users are uncomfortable with this idea,
and that is perfectly sensical. (don't think that word
exists, but hey, opposite of nonsensical, right?) They
ought to just stick to windows, the inferior system
that doesn't let you make mistakes (or intelligent
decisions) and instead makes them for you.

Unlike many others, I don't share the view that "linux
needs to be made more newbie friendly."  Doing that
will kill everything that made it great, and turn it
into another Windoze.  I don't care if the entire
world doesn't all use GNU systems, as long as I have
them to get my work done.  If somebody doesn't
understand, I will be helpful and try to explain, but
if they don't want to tolerate a system with a
learning curve then they don't have to use it, and
probably don't deserve to.  Leave this domain to those
of us who do care to learn.

>This is personal preference, of course, but I hate
>the "soft button"
>setup. To me it seems to be one of those "the machine
>is smarter than
>the operator" type deals, and, in general, my machine
>isn't smarter
>than me (note the "in general";).

>My SGI is entirely "soft button". If it crashes
>sometimes I can't even
>turn the power off on it, I end up having to unplug
>the stupid thing
>to reset it!

There are many times when I need to eject even tho' my
comp thinks I shouldn't.  There are times in Word when
I need to use a lowercase letter /i/ as a word but it
doesn't think I should.  This is precisely the reason
we go to alternatives to M$, because M$ software
always thinks it's smarter than we are and never is.
So don't go bringing M$isms to us and our
alternatives, please.

>Of course it wouldn't be a determining factor on my
>decision to buy a
>machine, but it would be a factor.

It would be a determining factor in my decision.  I
don't want a bloody M$ "I know what you want better
than you do" style system, in hardware or software.
(the only macs I'm interested in are the ones without
internal floppy drives, so that isn't an issue here.
If the cd drive doesn't want to eject, well no worse
than an x86)
Oh, and pardon my expletives. =}

=====
Fish of Borg
Visit me on the web!  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Frontier/4874/stccg.html
///Archaeologists near mount Sinai have discovered what appears to be a missing page from the Bible.  The page is currently being carbon dated in Bonn.  If genuine it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read "To my Darling Candy.  All Characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is entirely coincidental."///Red Dwarf