Re: umount - URGENT

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 03:56:17PM -0500, MallarJ2@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 1/7/2000 12:56:05 PM Central Standard Time,
> mstenner@phy.duke.edu writes:
>
> > while it's a good habit to demand successful umounts before removing
> >  media, remember that it IS a cdROM after all.  You're certainly not
> >  going to damage it by just pushing the button and taking the thing
> >  out.  Sure the os will complain, but you'll have the disk in your
> >  hand.
> >

> I don't know about you - but I have two PCs that won't let me eject the CD
> unless I umount the device.
>
> Perhaps an "undocumented feature?"

I think mine has (I know my old one did) a little hole, which I call
the "No, Really!" button.  Made for a paper clip to stick in.  I have
used this method while powered up before with no obvious bad results.
I can't promise the same good fortune for all drives, though.

Let me just take this moment to complain that while automating all of
these things can be nifty, it's real pain sometimes, too.  I wish
manufactures would take more care in providing good physical overrides
that don't say "pushing this button will eject your cd, but it may
also trash the drive".

					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu