Re: Soft ejects (was Re: umount - URGENT)

Gary Hennigan said:
> My SGI is entirely "soft button". If it crashes sometimes I can't even
> turn the power off on it, I end up having to unplug the stupid thing
> to reset it!

That's excessive, of course, but I'd like to see something along the lines of
the option on most ATX BIOSes to have a manual poweroff require you to hold
in the power button for 4 seconds.  This prevents you from absent-mindedly
turning it off at a Bad Time, while still allowing a 'manual override' if
your OS crashes.  The same concept applies to disks, etc.  (I don't like to
think about all the times I've switched floppies, tried to mount the new one,
and discovered that I forgot to unmount the previous disk...)

The problem here, though, is that if something manages to crash the BIOS (or
internal drive circuitry) controlling the sticky button, you're SOL again,
just like with your SGI.  But those sorts of things tend to not crash, so I
doubt that it's a major problem.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+