Apache suExec - how to configure under debian?

I can't figure out how to get suexec working under debian (latest potato
as of last night). The suexec binary seems to be installed in
/usr/lib/apache, but I don't get any message about it being found in my
error.log (the apache documentation says I should). When I try to enable
it by setting a User and Group in a virtualhost directive, I get:

# /etc/init.d/apache start
Starting web server: apache... failed.
# apachectl configtest
ERROR: User directive in <VirtualHost> requires SUEXEC wrapper.

Oh, and ls -l /usr/lib/apache/suexec gives
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          9916 Oct 30 23:47 suexec

I'd have expected to see an "s" in the permissions somewhere...

Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Stuart.