Re: Xwindow hassles, helphelp

Steve Winston [xee42@netscape.net] wrote:
> I am having a terrible problem with Xwindows in Debian.
> Last night, I configured it for a voodoo3 card. Now,
> it boots straight to a graphic log-in screen and from
> that to a blank green win95color screen.
> THere are no icons. No combination of mouse key strokes
> makes any difference. Alt-ctl-backspace has no effect.
> It leaves me facing the blank screen.
> And everytime I try to send this message, this damned
> netscape crashes.
> So, this is the first try at setting up X in Debian.
> I am using slink that comes with the Oreilly book.
> It boots straight to the graphics log-in screen, so I
> can't get to a command line and fix my mess. Any
> suggestions? Help please

It sounds as if the screen resolution is set at some high value (like
1024x768) and your monitor is set to display at 640x480.  The result is
that you only see a small part of the screen.  You can check this by
cycling through the screen resolutions by hitting CTRL-ALT-numeric - or
CTRL-ALT-numeric +.  Provided you have a functioning Xserver, your
screen should then display the full desktop.  If it doesn't or it
continues to lock up, I would kill xdm and rerun XF86Setup and use the
SVGA Xserver and one screen resolution (preferably 1024x768).  Only once
this is functioning would I try and setup the Glide functionality of
your Voodoo3 card.

Mike