slrn and leafnode: connection times out

When I'm using slrn (connected to a local leafnode server) and writing
a long article, or otherwise idling for a longish time, slrn appears
to drop the nntp connection. If I move to the next article it fails to
read it; retrying works fine. More seriously, if I try to post an
article it complains that `posting is not allowed' and loses my post.

Is there an `idle timeout' variable I can set for leafnode or slrn? Is
the nntp connection held between slrn and leafnode inbetween article
reads?
--
alisdair mcdiarmid                                    alisdair@jml.net
[the day is done but i'm having fun i think i'm dumb maybe just happy]