diald setup

I have two machines running potato, they're connected and I'd like to use
diald for dialling up on demand and masquerading.

It works until diald actually tries to establish the link. It dials, and upon
connect it starts pppd, which sends some LCP requests. That's all. After some
time, (supposedly) pppd gives up and the game restarts after 30 seconds.

Now I suspect there's a pppd option too much/few somewhere, I tried some but
to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Michel

=====
"Software is like sex; it's better when it's free"
 -- Linus Torvalds

"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
 -- Windows 95 BSOD