Re: SCSI CD, reported by kernel, isn't there.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:

[ snip ]

 : Now I am having some trouble with the SCSI CD.  The kernel reports the
 : SCSI adapter and the CD during boot up messages.  But when I try
 :    mount -tios9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom
 : or to use a cd player, nothing---this is not known to the kernel as
 : a block device

Does it exist in /dev?  `ls -l /dev/scd*' should shed some light on the
situation.

  cd /dev
  MAKEDEV scd0

should help if the ls search turned out negative.

 : >synapse:/home/adavis#  mount -tiso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom
 : >mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device
 : >	(maybe `insmod driver'?)
 : >synapse:/home/adavis#
 :
 : This is not a module.  SCSI support is compiled into the kernel
 : itself.

Mmm.  That may be, but is SCSI CD support compiled into the kernel?

Modules work fine here btw and I prefer them since they're only loaded
when needed.

 : Where can I find out the device associated with the recognized drive?

The output of `dmesg' and/or /var/log/messages might help.

 : What else can explain that the kernel reports the device, but it is
 : not available to be used?

Again, if the device file doesn't exist in /dev/you'll have a hard time
using it.

Once upon a time I had a linux box that insisted on using /dev/sr0
rather than /dev/scd0; it didn't bother me too much :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD