Re: [Rank Newbie] Netgear ether card under Corel distrib

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Guyren G Howe wrote:

> So my immediate question is:
>
> I need to know what to do with the tulip.c file I got from Bay Networks for
> my Netgear FA 310TX cards (I have two, so I can run this thing as a NAT
> machine).

Nothing, throw it away. Get the latest tulip driver from Don Becker's
website:

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html

> The metaquestion, which might be more useful to me in the long run, is:
>
> How do I translate instructions about compiling for RedHat or Slackware into
> instructions for Debian? Specific questions, which might or might not be the
> right ones:

Well, you are going to need some things on your system but most of them
should be selected when you install the kernel-package package. One you
have the kernel source, kernel-package, gcc, and bin86 packages installed,
you should have what you need.

> - do I compile for a module or a monolithic kernel?

I would compile as a module. Check the end of the driver source code for
compile instructions.

> - after hours spent reading the /usr/doc stuff, I tried to compile, but I
> found that one of the make files referred to a bunch of files that didn't
> actually exist (at least, not in the locations given in the file; and the
> first few I searched for didn't exist *at all* -- I know, I searched).

Can you give example output of what was missing?

> The metametaquestion is where is the best place to find answers to these
> sorts of questions for myself. I spent most of yesterday trying to work this
> one out for myself. I visited a couple of hundred web pages, and read a
> significant proportion of the /usr/doc stuff, but I am no wiser about why
> the arrangement of the files in Debian is clearly very different to those in
> Redhat, what that means for compiling for Debian, etc. And I have a cable
> modem. This time was almost entirely spent reading stuff that didn't answer
> my questions.

Well, I am still not sure exactly what questions you have. When you
request help on a support channel such as a mailing list, you are better
off quoting exact error messages if you can. This can lead one to quickly
spot what is missing and tell you where to get it. If you simply state
that you get errors, ANYTHING could be missing and it is difficult to tell
you what to go and get.

> I like the philosophy of Debian, but if everything I get is going to be set
> up for Redhat, and if adapting them to Debian is going to be hard, I might
> have to give up on debian and go with Red Hat. I'd rather not, though!

What is set up for Red Hat??