Re: Exim

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 03:14:02PM -0600, Matthew W. Roberts wrote:
> > I have just recently upgraded from debian 2.1 to potato and I cannot send any
> > email at all (either internal or external) i keep getting the following error
> > message.
> >
> > 1999-12-21 14:34:58 lillgp@linux1.geccs.gecm.com: procmail director deferred:
> > file existence defer in procmail director: Permission denied
> >
> > Does anyone know what is going on and how to get it working?  I have run
> > eximconfig again and i select option 1 (internet mail) but that still doesn't
> > work!
>
> This looks like a procmail problem, so running eximconfig probably
> won't help.  Are you using a procmail director in your exim.conf file,
> or using the .forward method?  I know that using procmail with a
> .forward file is different with exim than with sendmail so you might
> want to look at the exim documentation:  http://www.exim.org/
>
> If you send me your exim.conf file I might be able to help...

I find that recent eximconfig will add a procmail director
to exim.conf..... with bugs.

# This director runs procmail for users who have a .procmailrc file

procmail:
  driver = localuser
  transport = procmail_pipe
  require_files = +${home}:+${home}/.procmailrc:/usr/bin/procmail
                  ^        ^ hopefully these "+" shall fix the problem.
  no_verify

IIRC, without these exim defers the mail when it cannot check the
existence of .procmailrc (when the home dir is not readable) With the
"+" signs exim just ignore the director and proceed to the next one.