Re: split archives using tar

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, John Davis wrote:

> I have a zip disk which I would like to use for archive in Linux.  Can I
> run tar so that it will take a 500 Meg archive and split it into 5 100
> Meg tar files?  If so, how do I do this?

Have you already tried "man tar"?

To write a tar archive over multiple media use

     tar cMf /dev/your_zipdrive  500Meg.archive

Or use split(1) to split an already existing 500 Meg tar archive in parts
and cat(1) to join them again later.  Needless to say that this is
documented in "man split".
                                Good luck, P. *8^)
--
If not specific to HP please always reply to
"Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.uni-mainz.de>"