Re: can someone please explain to me error in execution path?

On 3/1/2000 Joseph de los Santos wrote:

I installed enlightenment but when I try to run a program I get the error

"There was an error running the program:
eeyes
THis program could not be executed.
this is most probably because this program is not in the path for your shell which is /bin/bash. I suggest you read the manual page for that shell and read up how to change or add to your execution path."

I tried adding the default hidden directory of /.enlightenment to the path of my /bin/bash but it would not let me...I even made permission to enlightenment directory read/write to all. maybe I'm doing it all wrong? can sompebody please lend a helping hand. Thank you.

ack don't do that.

check to see if you can execute the program manually from a terminal window (xterm rxvt whatever) if that works then something in enlightenment may be broken, if not (ie command not found appears) then your PATH variable needs to be fixed (or the program is missing), check .bash_profile for that.

as long as the program is in a standard place (/bin, /usr/bin, /usr/bin/X11) then your PATH should be ok.

one thing i have found is that xdm, wdm whateverdm seem to be broken about loading the environment correctly, I have fixed this by changing the first line in /etc/X11/Xsession from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash --login, this will cause the full environment to be loaded (ie load /etc/profile and ~/.bash_profile) which are normally ignored. note that some versions of bash 2 are broken in that --login does not work inside scripts, the latest version from potato is fine. if your bash is broken and you cannot upgrade it right now then add:

source /etc/profile
source ~/.bash_profile

to your ~/.xsession

the above is more over necessary if you want to have your personal ~/bin in your PATH.

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/