Re: alt key in jed under X

Try using your `meta' key instead. That's the left window key if you have
them. It turns out most X apps don't agree on metashift (meta, alt, hyper,
super) behaviour. FI E uses (the key that sets mod_1) for ALT, while xterm
uses (the key that sets mod_4).. if I recall correctly. and Lucid (X)
emacs uses (the key(s) with a mod bit set and ALT keysym) for ALT and (the
key(s) with a mod bit set and META keysym) for META.

And under console, ALT and META mean the same thing. I had a discussion in
the bugtraq with enlightenment's maintainer about the lack of consistancy.

Probably only two things to do:
0) put up with it.
1) push for partial ICCCM compliance in policy

Taken from xemacs:
--->
(2) (key-mapping/warning)
	Two distinct modifier keys (such as Meta and Hyper) cannot
	generate the same modifier bit, because Emacs won't be able to
	tell which modifier was actually held down when some other key is
	pressed. It won't be able to tell Meta-x and Hyper-x apart,
	for example. Change one of these keys to use some other modifier
	bit.  If you intend for these keys to have the same behavior, then
	change them to have the same keysym as well as the same modifier
	bit.

(3) (key-mapping/warning)
	The meanings of the modifier bits Mod1 through Mod5 are determined
	by the keysyms used to control those bits.  Mod1 does NOT always
	mean Meta, although some non-ICCCM-compliant programs assume that.
<---

We probably also need more modifier bits. I wonder if xfree86 4 will have
any differences.

-- Ferret no baka