Where is the mixer module?

Running Slink with a 2.2.13 kernel. Compiled in sound for my SB64AWE ISA card as follows:

Soundcard support Y
OSS Sound Modules M
100% SB compatible support M

I don't want any midi support, only sound from CD, line-in etc.

When I insmod all the modules (sound, uart401 and sb with proper settings) the card produces sound quite nicely, but as there is no mixer module the volume control doesn't work. cat /dev/sndstat however has the following entry....

Mixers:
1: Sound Blaster

So, what do I do next? All the other entries begin with a 0 (zero), so it seems the mixer entry is out of order. Who can shine a light on this? TIA -- Hans