Re: Lost Interupt and Dead HD

advice i can give ..

1) it is possible the controller is faulty.  i had a BRAND new drive die
within hours/days when connected to a faulty controller.
2) get a diagnostics program for the drive/controller, unfortunately such
programs do not come cheap,  i suggest Microscope, availlable at
www.micro2000.com
3) purchase a drive that has a diagnostics program for it, IBM has
*EXCELLENT* diagnostics for their drives(their software is on their
site) and maxtor also has a diagnostics programs(they forced me to run it
before they would issue me an RMA#)  that way you can at least tell for
sure if the drive is faulty, kernel errors are a good sign but its usually
not a sure thing until you start suffering data loss.
4)  also never never ever do a bios low level format on an ide drive
unless the program comes from the maker of the drive, low level formatting
an IDE drive has about a 99% chance of destorying the drive, for
good. Really old IDE drives (say 420MB and smaller) didn't have a problem
with low level formats, but newer drives do.  I can't explain why it
destorys an IDE drive(when it is actually reccomended and sometimes
required on a SCSI drive), i've seen it happen many many times and read
countless people reccomend against it.

hope this helps, if you have more questions lemme know .

nate