Re: cfdisk table: unusable space??

El vie, 03 de dic de 1999, a las 07:38:02 -0600, Brad dijo:
> On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 12:16:33AM +0100, J Horacio MG wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, but I already knew all that.  In fact, /dev/hda2 is empty and is
> > not being used at all, so I could use that one.
>
> Note that that will still leave cylendars 11 through 20 unusable (unless
> you absorb them into another partition, by repartitioning or resizing
> (if you try to resize, be sure to back up in case something goes wrong))
>
> > But my question was different:  when I first partitioned my disk, I
> > left NO space without partitioning... so, what's that "unusable" space
> > doing there?  where did it come from?
>
> You never mentioned that in your original post.

Yes I did, and the details of the unusable space were in the last line
of the partition table:

hda3		Primary		LinuxSwap	196.11
				Unusable	172.58
                                ^^^^^^^^

> On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 01:11:05PM +0100, J Horacio MG wrote:
> > fdisk reports at start:
> >
> > The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1046.
> > There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
> > and could in certain setups cause problems with:
> > 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
> > 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
> >    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>
> This may have something to do with it. Notice that the last partition
> ends at 1024, inplying that the unused space is that from 1025 to 1046.
> Possibly whatever utility you used to partition the disk refused to
> recognize any cylendars greater than 1024. Of course, this is just a
> guess, i could be wrong.

I used cfdisk.  Anyway, from the above warning the only thing that could
worry me is that I want to install *BSD in short, but it doesn't name
*BSD as one of the OSs that could be troublesome, and besides, I'll be
installing it in a secondary HDD.  So far LILO has given me no trouble
whatsoever.

Thank you,

--
Horacio					Anno MMDCCLII ad Urbe condita
homega@ciberia.es			Valencia - ESPAÑA