Linux Advocacy (dealing with 3com) (was: Re: Macromedia products for linux)

I'm dealing with much the same thing with 3com right now. I'm attempting
to flash upgrade one of their 56k Sportster modems without having to go
out and purchase a license for Windows 98. Unfortunately, I've gotten
three different support people in their support department for four
different email replys. Every single person replying to me suggested I
connect the modem to a `PC running Windows 95 or 98' after being informed
that I do not have access to such a machine.

In my last email to 3com's support I asked to be connected with one
specific person in their company who would have the authority to be
helpful to Linux/UNIX users.

Also, I stated that while their company might not be able to offer the
same level of hand-holding ^Wautomated support to the Linux community than
they to the MacOS and Windows communities, the Linux community would in
general be more than happy to do their own support provided 3com met us
halfway and offered full support for their own products regardless of the
end-user's platform of choice.

And yes, I did manage to sound a little bit angry (deliberately, and I
hope I managed to stay politely angry) when I indicated that any practice
of theirs which requires use or purchase of any specific OS would be
considered unacceptable.

That said, does anyone on this list happen to have any contacts inside
3com who might be helpful in getting the flash upgrade thing going?