Re: setting up network for @home account

On 12/02/99 02:50PM, John and Monica Patton wrote:
> I have the ethernet card working properly.  I recompiled the kernel with
> the latest stable driver, and a look at dmesg suggests thats its
> recognized.  I just need to set up configuration files and so forth.

It'd be nice to be able to run that part of the installation again,
but...

The main file you want to look at is the /etc/init.d/network file.
Should be something like this:

  #! /bin/sh
  ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
  route add -net 127.0.0.0
  IPADDR=###.###.###.###
  NETMASK=###.###.###.###
  NETWORK=###.###.###.###
  BROADCAST=###.###.###.###
  GATEWAY=###.###.###
  ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
  route add -net ${NETWORK}
  [ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

with all the ###.###.###.###s filled in with the values you got from
the installer.

Next is your /etc/hosts file. Should look like this:

  # IP Address    hostname.domainname  alias
  127.0.0.1	                       localhost
  ###.###.###.### smaug.home.net       smaug

again, the ###.###.###.### is the IP addy, you got from @home.

Finally, you need to add your nameservers to your /etc/resolv.conf
file:

  search home.net
  nameserver 24.0.3.33
  nameserver 24.0.3.34

I just had a brain fart. I think that's everything. I'm sure someone
will point out any errors or omissions I've made.

That should get you started. Oh, and after you do all this, you need
to run /etc/init.d/network restart. I can't remember if this was the
"right" way to do it, but it has worked for me.

Also, make sure you make backups of all the files you're going to
edit, just in case ;)
 ) Mark Wagnon      ) mwagnon1@home.com      )
(  Chula Vista, CA (  wagnon@rohan.sdsu.edu (