Re: IDL crashes, undefined symbol: _xstat

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Jim Crumley wrote:

> I am running an updated yesterday potato/x86 system.  I get the following
> error when I try to run IDL (Interactive Data Language from RSI) 5.2 :
>
> /usr/local/rsi/idl_5.2/bin/bin.linux/idl: error in loading shared libraries: /us
> r/local/rsi/idl_5.2/bin/bin.linux/libidl.so.5.2: undefined symbol: _xstat
>
> IDL used to work for me, but I haven't used it for a few months, so it
> might have been the upgrade from potato to slink that broke it. Has
> anyone else had this problem?  Does anyone else use IDL with a potato
> system?

I had the same problem, it is due to the changes from glibc2.1.1 to 2.1.2.
RSI released an updated version that fixes this, but you have to download
it off their site.
Moreover, _if_ you have the Motif libraries installed on your system, you
may want to relink the binaries to use them, instead of having them
hardwired in the binaries as they are by default. To do this, go into your
$IDL_DIR/bin/bin.linux directory, edit the Makefile you will find there
and build your own binary, linked against your Motif libraries and your
ncurses library (instead of termcap). Here is an excerpt from my own
modified Makefile:

LDFLAGS= -Wl,-rpath,. -lMesaGLU -lMesaGL -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm -lXp \
	-lXpm -lXext -lXt -lSM -lICE -lX11 -ldl -lncurses -lm \
	-L$(BINDIR) -lidl

Check for the corresponding line in your system, edit it accordingly, make
idl.new and you have your brand new binary, dynamically linked.

_ANYWAY_ you need to first download the latest version of IDL from RSI.

Hope this helps...
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, gmulas@tiscalinet.it, gmulas@eso.org>

OSSERVATORIO  ASTRONOMICO
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 216     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
 Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read..."
              (Groucho Marx)