Re: How to block access from specific sites.

*- On  2 Dec, Martin Fluch wrote about "Re: How to block access from specific sites."

> On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Ethan Benson wrote:
>
>> ALL: *.microsoft.com
>> sshd: *.apple.com
>> in.ftpd: 192.168.0.5
>>
>> are some examples, you should get a pretty decent man page with man 5
>> hosts.deny if not then your man pages are broken :)
>>
>> (btw I don't remember for sure if the * is needed or not it probably
>> isn't but i don't think it matters)
>
> It's done without a '*' (AFAIK) ... Martin

No wildcard is needed according to 'man 5 hosts_access'.

       ·      A  string  that begins with a `.´ character. A host
              name is matched if the last components of its  name
              match the specified pattern.  For example, the pat­
              tern    `.tue.nl´    matches    the    host    name
              `wzv.win.tue.nl´.

       ·      A  string  that  ends  with a `.´ character. A host
              address is matched  if  its  first  numeric  fields
              match  the  given string.  For example, the pattern
              `131.155.´ matches the address  of  (almost)  every
              host    on   the   Eindhoven   University   network
              (131.155.x.x).

--
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you