Re: Snafu

Quoting Ray Woodcock (raywoodcock@brick.net):
> I'm somewhere in the process of installing slink.  There was an
> interruption during installation, I rebooted, etc.  I guess I could wipe
> out the disk and start over, but I'd kind of like to understand where I
> am and why.

The $64000 question is whereabouts were you at the interruption.
When you started the installation, you booted off the rescue disk.
Had you finished this program entirely? If not, then boot from this
disk again and follow the menus carefully.

Certain things will need repeating (configure kbd, activate swap)
and certain things won't (you don't need to initialise partitions
that you initialised previously) which is why there are all these
alternat(iv)e commands.

> The system boots and reboots OK.  I've been playing around with bash
> commands.  Not all of the ones I read about on Web pages seem to be
> working.  Now I want to run dbootstrap to configure my base system.

So it seems likely that you completed that program and got as far as
"Reboot the system" ? And you set a root password? And did you set
up the first user account? If so, login as user, type
/bin/su -
to make yourself root and now you can type
dselect

Does what you see now look familiar? If not, then it's likely that
dselect has never been run. The safest thing to do here is to press
return when it displays the package selection list and let it
install whatever it had in its default list. (This may or may not
have been modified if you got as far as answering the question
"What sort of machine are you intending to run".)

Once dselect has installed it's first load of packages (after
which, for slink, the output from
dpkg -l | wc
should start with a number around 150) you can run dselect again
and pick and choose what packages you want.

> But
> when I type dbootstrap at the $ prompt, I get "command not found."  I go
> to the root (or whatever you call /) and type "find dbootstrap," but
> that just gives me "no such file or directory."

A linux root directory shouldn't have any non-directories in it,
apart from a link to the kernel.

> Anybody know where I am and where I should be going?  Or is it time to
> use a blunt instrument on this installation?

This is not normally necessary. But it would have helped to know when
you were interrupted.

Cheers,