Wordperfect 8 seg fault

Thanks for your reply - I've been thinking
along those lines - I actually installed libc5 quite
early on.
Am I right in thinking if "ldd xwp" shows all the
libaries can be found then that is not the problem?

I understood that as long as the library path is listed in
/etc/ld.so.conf then the library  should be locatable
at run time and presumably by the ldd command. However
ldd could not find the libraries, nor could they be
found at run time unless I put the path in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable.

I am quite new to this as you may have gathered.