Re: SOUND & KERNEL 2.2.10

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 06:28:10PM -0400, Camiel Coenen wrote:
> I read somewhere that all kernels from 2.2.7 on, have sound support built-in.
Are you talking debians kernel-images?

> I have a  ES1869 soundcard on my laptop and kernel 2.2.10 but still I
> don't have any sound.  Although I tried several time to load the sound
> module with modconf, it still doesn't work. though I have read the
> HOWTO on sound, but I don't feel like recompiling my kernel. Where do I
> go from here ?

First look in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc for sound.o,
soundcore.o, and whatever module matches your sound card. If they aren't
there, no amount of modprobing will get you sound.  You'll *get* to
compile a new kernel, which is relatively painless -- and well managed
doing it the `debian way'[tm].
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |