Re: Kernel-Panic : freeing cache, WAS K6-3 / E+gnome

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 09:03:55AM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Ingo Reimann wrote:
>
> >  Kernel panic: Freeing swap cache page
> >
> > kern.log says:
> >
> > Oct 29 11:03:01 convert kernel: VM: read_swap_page: page already in page
> > cache!
> > Oct 29 11:03:01 convert kernel: Kernel panic: Freeing swap cache page
> >
> > What does this mean? What can i do?
>
> Well, the kernel hackers will probably tell me that this is insane and
> that it could never possibly make a difference, but I swear it worked for
> me before when I had similar problems!  Destroy and re-create your swap
> partitions.  Remember to run swapoff on them before you delete them.
> Maybe you don't actually need to delete the partitions; mkswap might be
> enough.  But anyway, re-create the swap partition and run swapon...see
> what happens.
>
> I can't imagine why it would work.  I don't think it should.  But a couple
> years ago I ran into major stability problems and got similar messages to
> when you found in kern.log.  Re-creating the swap partition fixed
> everything.  I have no idea what inspired me to try that, but...
>
> HTH,
> noah

Thanks for you help, noah! I just did it and as you can see. NOW the system
works. How long? We will see! Hope, this was the problem.
I also decreased the core voltage for the CPU to 2.2V. Together it should
help. *sigh*

Ingo

        I. Reimann                       reimann@uni-muenster.de
        Inst. fuer Angew. Physik         +49 251 83-33527 (fon)
        Correnstr. 2-4                   +49 251 83-33513 (fax)
        D-48149 Muenster
	Germany