(More info about my setup) Trying to get X11 and other packages in full

Hello Folks,

I got a couple requests for more information about how I am trying
to set things up, and what I did to get this far.

I gave up on trying to use 1.3, as it would crash shortly after
"Loading Linux.....", even when I copied the entire "debian" directory from the 1997 Boot Magazine to C:, and tried loadlin. This at least told me that the floppy was not causing the problems.

I have a Windows 95 system on C: on my Thinkpad 560.  Based on the
(great) advice I got yesterday, the "tecra" floppies for the
rescue and drives disk worked OK.  I grabbed the 9Meg "base" .tgz file
(using AOL, my only ISP now) put it on C:, and after installing
rescue and drivers from floppy, installed the "base" from the harddisk. I tried using the 1.3 CD packages with the 2.1 kernel several times today, but could not get things to work. So I reinstalled 2.1 again as mentioned above. I'm not sure if it is possible to use the 1.3 packages with 2.1, so I am assuming it can't be done unless I hear otherwise.

As I only have AOL as an ISP since I left my job, and read in a
newsgroup that there is no linux AOL client, I figure I will have to
use Windows 95 to download the files to C:, then mount that MSDOS
filesystem under linux as my access method as above.

I am not sure if I will even be able to use a CD directly under linux,
as I have an "H45 QuickCD" as one CDROM device, and the other is a
JVC SCSI CD-R/RW that I use with a "New Media Bus Toaster" SCSI
adapter.  A friend of is going to loan me a debian CD sometime
next week, so I won't actually know for a while.

I figured I could download all the packages that I need to run bare
X Windows, and then use "dselect" once I have them on hard disk.

From what I have been reading, it appears that 2.1 has the X Windows
reorganization, so the "whole darn thing" doesn't have to be
downloaded when some of it may not be needed.  This is a good
thing, for most, but not me!

Again, I really appreciate your help,

John