Harddrive woes

I'm helping a friend set up Debian as a firewall/router for his
LAN.  Troubles with the partition table or BIOS or something.

fdisk sez:

   /root# fdisk /dev/hda

   Command (m for help): p

   Disk /dev/hda: 32 heads, 63 sectors, 823 cylinders
   Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 bytes

      Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
   /dev/hda1             1        82     82120+  82  Linux swap
   Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
        phys=(162, 15, 63) logical=(81, 15, 63)
   Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
        phys=(162, 15, 63) should be (162, 31, 63)
   /dev/hda2   *        82       824    747936   83  Linux
   Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
        phys=(163, 0, 1) logical=(81, 16, 1)
   Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
        phys=(821, 15, 63) logical=(823, 15, 63)
   Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
        phys=(821, 15, 63) should be (821, 31, 63)

We also formatted and mounted a second drive, cp -ax over /,
and fdisk says samilar things when that drive is installed
as hda.  Seems to me the trouble is with lilo and perhaps something
it's using in /boot (boot.b?) to write the MBR.  Lilo is
writing to the MBR of /hda rather than writing to hda2 and making the
second partition active with fdisk because lilo says it
can't write to hda2 because physical \= logical beginning
of the partition.

We tried 'fdisk /MBR' to wipe the MBR from a dos boot disk; booted
with startup floppy to root=/dev/hda2.  Again, can't write with
lilo to /dev/hda2 because of faulty geometry info.  Write to /dev/hda
and fdisk whines again.

Also tried too many other things to list.  I fear things are
getting more fscked up as we go along.  I have not run into this
before and I've slogged through the /usr/doc/lilo docs and
done the usual net searches without luck.

I'm stuck.  If anyone is willing to help with this will send
any further info required.

Rick
--
r3ck@home.com