Re: How retain Windows long file names?

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, [iso-8859-1] André Bell wrote:

> When I 'xcopy *.* a:\ /s" and then copy those files to my linux machine
> with 'cp' my long files names are lost.  Any idea how to retain these long

You need to mount the floppy disk with filesystem type vfat, instead of
filesystem type msdos.  And Windows, of course, needs to write the long
filenames to the disk.  It doesn't always with floppy.

> Maybe there's some other way to achieve the same results besides the
> 'cp' command if cp does not support long file names and if it can't
> copy entire subdirectories(?).

You can put the files in an archive with WinZip and unpack them on Linux
with 'unzip'.

Saves space that way too.

Winzip can make tar files, I think, also.