deskjet, color cartrige and black text...

Ok, I've got a color HP deskjet printer with a color cartrige installed.
My problems is that whenever I print something blackand white (be it
postscript or just plain text) it wants me to put in the b/w cartrige,
which I don't want to have to do. It does this even though I am
using the dj500c-filter from magigfilter. Now it doesn't do this in
Windows (seems it has some way of forcing or knowing) so I know there
is a way around it.

Can some one please shed some light one this?

Ben