Re: PPP speeds; "nice"-ness

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 07:01:14AM +1000, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:

> This prompts me to ask, is there a concept of "nice"ness for TCP/IP
> connections?  How does apt arrange to have a priority, as apparently
> it does, and arrange to have good speeds when other processes don't?

As for how apt grabs most of the bandwidth, I don't know -- how to fix it, I
have one suggestion -- the tcp/ip traffic shapers of the 2.2.x kernels. I
don't know whether they work or not, or if they will go with ppp
connections, or if it will help a system that gets 3kps tops -- but it is an
idea. :)

The traffic shapers (from all that I know in the make menuconfig help..)
should allow you to limit bandwidth usage perhost -- probably not per
command.

<shrug> there it is. :)

--
Seth Arnold