Re: Promise FastTrack 66 IDE-RAID controller

Hello! Thanks for your reply.

> I don't know about the Promise UDMA/66 controllers, but I know a little
> about their UDMA/33 controllers from experience.
>
> The only difference between their basic UDMA/33 and their RAIDed UDMA/33
> was in their controller's BIOS and in the drivers disk. Both cards used
> the exact same components and the exact same PCBs. The only visual
> difference was in the label on the BIOS chip and in the lettering applied
> to the boards.

I have seen the pictures for both Ultra66 and FastTrack66 controllers, and
they look exactly the same.

> I think I tested these with Windows 98 and with Debian 2.0 and 2.1
> prerelease with a 2.1.1xx kernel (don't remember the exact revision) and
> it saw both boards exactly the same.
> I suspect this RAID board actually did the RAID in software that ran
> inside Windows9x, and didn't seem to have enough smarts to let the array
> access outside the GUI mode or in "safe" mode.
>
> Maybe the UDMA/66 RAID board does do the array at the host controller
> level, but I would doubt it based on my experiences with the UDMA/33
>
> -- Ferret no baka

I have seen the manual for the UDMA/66 RAID board (Promise FastTrack 66),
and it has a "bios" that you can enter while booting, where you can create
the arrays, select the RAID mode, and fix problems. When I saw this I
thought that the array would be done at the host controller level. Did the
UDMA/33 RAID board have this?

I really would like to have RAID-0, can I do that with the regular UDMA/66
board from promise (Promise Ultra 66) and do the RAID-0 from software
available in Linux? I would prefer using a good controller that does the
array itself, I think it would be faster. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alexis Maldonado
Disenos y Montajes S.A.

DYMSA - Disenos y Montajes S.A.
Tel. +(506) 227-5616   Fax. +(506) 227-5257

e-mail: dymsacr@racsa.co.cr

PO Box:  Apdo 171-2010 Zapote
         San Jose, Costa Rica

Address:  500 mts Sur de Rotonda de Zapote
          Edificio DYMSA
          San Jose, Costa Rica
          Central America