Re: er - how to print?

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Martin Waller wrote:

> My father-in-law just hgave me an OKI OL600ex laser printer.

I have an OkiPage 10ex that emulates a LaserJet 5.  Your OKI might emulate
a LaserJet of some sort also.

> Doing any prinitng (e.g. cat afile.txt > /dev/lp or echo hello > /dev/lp
> does nothing - lpq just says:
>
> waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)
> <the jobs waiting>

I had a similar problem this morning (don't remember the message) and it
turned out that the lpd daemon was not running.  I had no idea WTF made it
stop running, as it was working the night before.  Anyway, these commands
might be useful:

/etc/init.d/lpd start
/etc/init.d/lpd stop
/etc/init.d/lpd restart

I recommend you use magicfilterconfig to set it up.  I happen to be using
the ljet2p (LaserJet IIP) filter because I was too lazy to change when I
got this printer.  It didn't break, so I didn't fix it!

Anyway, I think your OKI might emulate some form of LaserJet, so you might
want to try magicfilter with the various ljet filters.  Also, make sure
you're telling it the right port.  I think mine is /dev/lp0.

Hope this helps,
Patrick