sound help

To all,
  I'm trying to get sound working on my laptop. Windows reports it as a
"Yamaha Opl3-SAx WDM Driver" The sound howto says that the
"Yamaha Opl3-Sax" sound chip is supported. So I went to my misc directory
for my kernal modules and saw three opl3 modules. I tried modprobe all of
them. The opl3.o module is the only one that modprobed sucessfully. But
when I cated /dev/sndstat it came up with nothing. The sound howto talks
about how to compile the drivers into the kernel, but I'd like to use
modules if possible. I couldn't find any docs on the debian web page for
configuring sound. I've configured sound before but it was useing redhat's
sndconfig program. So my question is: am I useing the right module, and
how do I get this to work. Thanks for all your help.

				Bob