Sound programs

Hi all,

Just some small wonderings concerning sound configurations.

I have a Soundblaster Live that I can play .au files on
by piping (AS ROOT ONLY) $ cat sound.au >/dev/audio
Been reading the Howtos and understand that I need some
more things installed. Is there a list of a basic
working sound package (mixers, cd-player, mp3 etc) for
debian. I am running WindowMaker and got hold of
wmcdplay, wmsoundserver, wmsoundprefs. If I try to
startr wmsoundserver I get segmentation fault and
wmcdplay says: unable to open cdrom device '/dev/cdrom'.
In addition to this I also have the following installed
xmms, playmidi, xmix, tracker, sox, tcd, sound-recorder.

So how should I proceed. Its all just a big mess at the
moment.
Running Debian unstable. 2.2.10 with emu10k1.o in
/lib/modules/2.2.10/misc
I can load it as root (do I have to do that ?)

Any suggestions on where I can find some more information
other than the 2 sound related HOWTOs would be much
appreciated.

Best Regards
Joakim