Re: DNA required for intranet?

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Matthew Dalton wrote:

> Sort of...
> Strictly speaking, DNS is not required for internet access. More
> accurately, an end user does not have to set up DNS on his/her machine
> to enable him/her to go onto the internet. The internet service
> providers provide one or more of their own DNS servers for the end user
> to use.

Right.  I think what we have here is a matter of confusion over
terminology.

I said 'DNS is only necessary if you go on the Internet' which, I think,
is pretty much true (minus the pathological case of putting everybody in
/etc/hosts).  It isn't necessary to set up a whole DNS server for that
(though you may as well as it will speed things up) but it is necessary to
'set up DNS' - in the sense that you need to sort out how your system will
communicate with whatever DNS server it's using.