Re: X resolution problem

Bill,

Are you sure you have the correct specs for your monitor's horizontal and
vertical refresh rates? If your entries are correct and you try to use a
higher resolution that execeeds the specs, the Xerver will remove the
invalid modes. If you enter values that exceed what the monitor can
handle, the Xserver will do what you tell it, but the monitor will act
strangely. The docs warn that this can severely damage your monitor
(including starting a fire if it goes too far).

If you have the correct specs entered, then the next step is to verify
that the resolution you want to use can be done without execeeding them.
I've always done this by reading the XF86Config file and editing it if
necessary. You can find documentation at
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/linux/LDP/. Go to the HOWTO section and look for
the XFree86 HOWTO. You may also have this in /usr/doc/HOWTO if you got
that package. If there is a way to use the config tools to do this,
perhaps someone can post it.

Hope this is helpful.

Ernest Johanson
Web Systems Administrator