Re: printing again

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Jocke wrote:

> I am sorry to ask again but I am really stuck here.

Ok, let's give this a try here...

> I would like something like 4 settings.
>
> 1: draft text mode
> 2: high quality text
> 3: draft pictures
> 4: high quality pictures

You have 3 .upp files, so you'll get 3 different resolutions ;)

> lprng
> gs-aladdin
>
> apsfilter or magicfilter ?

i'd recommend magicfilter, just because i'm familiar with it. Can't help
you with apsfilter.

> I did find some .upp files from "Installing the Epson stylus color 740
> under Redhat Linuc 5.2/6.0" web page.
>
> I guess that the 3 .upp files (720x720 plain paper, 1440x720dpi Inktjet Paper
> and 360x360dpi Plain Paper) should be put somewhere in the ghostscript
> dir ?

They should be in /usr/lib/ghostscript/5.50/ (They aren't already there?)

Ok, after you get those .upp files in place, and magicfilter installed,
this should work. Most of this has to be done as root...

First, cd to /etc/magicfilter. cp stylus_color_360dpi-filter to
stylus_color740_360dpi-filter, and stylus_color_720dpi-filter to
stylus_color740_720dpi-filter. Also, cp stylus_color_720dpi-filter to
stylus_color740_1440dpi-filter.

Now, edit stylus_color740_360dpi-filter. Near the top of the file, there's
three lines something like this (i've snipped them)
  0       %!              filter  /usr/bin/gs  @stc2.upp -q -dSAFER
  0       \004%!          filter  /usr/bin/gs  @stc2.upp -q -dSAFER

  # PDF
  0       %PDF            fpipe   /usr/bin/gs  @stc2.upp -q -dSAFER

Change "stc2.upp" to the name of the 360x360dpi .upp file. Make sure you
keep the @ in there!

Do the same for stylus_color740_720dpi-filter (except here, you'll have to
change "stc800.upp" in those three lines to the name of the 720x720dpi
filter).

1440dpi is a little harder, but not too much. You still change the three
lines just as before. Also, you have to search through the file for
resolution-dependent commands.

  /usr/bin/dvips  -D 720
This occurs only once. Change it to the following:
  /usr/bin/dvips  -X 1440 -Y 720

This next occurs 6 times:
  /usr/bin/pnmtops  -scale 1000 -dpi 720
This one's a bit more tricky, since the filter can only do 1440x720, and
i'm not sure if -dpi 1440 will work or not here. You can try it both ways
(these rules are for printing "portable anymap" graphics).

Now that this is done, you just need to run magicfilterconfig. You'll
create three different virtual printers, one for each resolution. Give
each printer a different name and spool directory (i.e. "Epson Stylus
Color 740 360x360dpi" and "esc740-360dpi", the same device (probably
/dev/lp0), and the proper of your newly made magicfilters (i.e.
"stylus_color740_360dpi").

Once you're done, the lpr command will print to the default printer. The
"-P spool_dir_name" option will make lpr print to the named printer
instead.