System freezes unexpectedly: Continued

Well, I had upgraded my kernel, futzed with my BIOS settings, and tried
anything else I thought might help, but I am still getting system lockups.
>From what the logs indicate, the crash happened at around 5 a.m. this morning.
 I checked on it at 9:30.  The screen blanker had been on, so I couldn't see
the desktop.  The capslock key toggled the little capslock light, so I tried
the SysRq button sequences.  They didn't seem to do anything, and the
capslock, scroll lock, etc ceased to operate their indicators.

Next, I went to the logs for clues.  I haven't found anything conclusive yet,
but I found this glitch in my syslog:

Aug 12 05:13:00 cmayes /USR/SBIN/CRON[31736]: (root) CMD (/bin/chown root:dip
/etc/ppp)
Aug 12 05:14:00 cmayes /USR/SBIN/CRON[32029]: (root) CMD (/bin/chmod 775
/dev/ttyS1)
Aug 12 05:14:00 cmayes /USR/SBIN/CRON[32030]: (root) CMD (/bin/chown root:dip
/etc/ppp)
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@ (root) CMD (/bin/chmod 775 /dev/ttyS1)
Aug 12 05:15:00 cmayes /USR/SBIN/CRON[32046]: (root) CMD (/bin/chown root:dip
/etc/ppp)
Aug 12 09:46:52 cmayes syslogd 1.3-3#32: restart.

Does anyone know what the control-ampersand ASCII code might mean?  The above
interpretation is from Jed, BTW.  Also, in case you're curious, the above
actions are in place in cron to counter the irritating tendency for something
in the ppp package to set permissions on /etc/ppp to exclude the dip group.
The permissions also get messed up on my serial devices.  I don't think this
causes any problems, but i thought that you all might be curious ;-)

Anyway, my next plan of action is to cut to the console without screen
blanking so that I can see any dying words my box might have for me.  Any
other suggestions?

TIA,

-Chris