Re: scsi hd idle spin down

Weasel <ppalfrad@cosy.sbg.ac.at> writes:

> I've two SCSI harddisks and what I'm looking for is a tool/kernel patch
> that spins down those drives after some idle time and up again when
> needed.

what makes you believe that spinning down drives is needed at all?

> PS: fyi: the scsi controller is an AHA 2940 U2W, the disks are IBM
> DRVS09V and there's one swap partition on each of them. I've five md

have you had a look at IBM's specs as to how many spin-up-spin-down
cycles these drives are specified for? IIRC, these are server-drives
and thus not specified to survive a lot of power-cycles but rather a
log time of continuous operation.

kind Regards,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows