Unable to click on links in Navigator 4.61

In the past few days (today and yesterday to be precise) I've noticed that I
can no longer click on links in Navigator. All mouse related events work
it's just those that are on the rendered HTML page that don't work. This
includes both left and right mouse clicks on links.

I get this on the terminal when I run netscape from the command line:

#---------------------------

Warning: translation table syntax error: Modifier or '<' expected
Warning: ... found while parsing 'Shift&lt;Btn4Down&gt;: LineUp()'
Warning: translation table syntax error: Modifier or '<' expected
Warning: ... found while parsing ' Shift&lt;Btn5Down&gt;: LineDown()'
Warning: translation table syntax error: Missing '<' while parsing event
type.
Warning: ... found while parsing '
None&lt;Btn4Down&gt;:LineUp()LineUp()LineUp()LineUp()LineUp()LineUp()'
Warning: translation table syntax error: Missing '<' while parsing event
type.
Warning: ... found while parsing '
None&lt;Btn5Down&gt;:LineDown()LineDown()LineDown()LineDown()LineDown()LineDown()'
Warning: translation table syntax error: Modifier or '<' expected
Warning: ... found while parsing ' Alt&lt;Btn4Down&gt;:
xfeDoCommand(forward)'
Warning: translation table syntax error: Modifier or '<' expected
Warning: ... found while parsing ' Alt&lt;Btn5Down&gt;: xfeDoCommand(back

#---------------------------------------

I have a feeling this is Xresources problem, because it affects copies of
Navigator that I run off other systems, but I can't seem to track it down. A
grep of all the files on the system for fragments of the lines didn't find
anything.

Basically I'm stumped. I've checked the Netscape.ad files, my local
Xdefaults and I've checked other configs and nothing.

This seems to have been happend since "plugger" and "netscape-base-4" got
upgraded (I track the unstable release of Debiang).

This is a list of the relevant package versions (AFAIK).

ii  navigator-smoti 4.61-8         Netscape Navigator 4.61 (static Motif)
ii  netscape-base-4 4.61-18        Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (bas
ii  netscape-base-4 4.61-8         4.61 base support for netscape
ii  netscape-java-4 4.61-8         Netscape Java support for version 4.61
ii  plugger         3.0-2          Netscape Mime Plug-in

Any help much appreciated.

TIA

Dan

--