Re: cfdisk says hda is smaller than it really is!

Matthias Murra wrote:
> Your BIOS shouldn't be a problem then. Have you checked the BIOS
> settings?

Yeah, all the settings are Linux-friendly.

> How come? I simply created a partition that would hold the basic Debian
> slink system on the "8.4 GB drive" that cfdisk detected in conjunction
> with the 2.0.x kernel, when what in fact I had was a 10 GB drive.

Certainly an option, but I was holding out for a more out-of-the-box
solution.  The only thing I'm confused by is:

> After you create the appropriate mount points on this new 150 MB "root
> partition" (i. e., the partition that is mounted on "/") for the /usr
> partition (and others, if created), and move the files in those partitions
up
> one (or more) level(s) -- so that you don't have "/usr/usr/..." after
> mounting the drive that previously held your entire Debian system,
> including "/usr/...", on "/usr" --, and adapt /etc/fstab to the new
layout,
> everything should be working fine.

What exactly do you mean by "create the appropriate mount points" ?

> I have never tried this -- I'm pretty new to Debian myself, having
> switched from SuSE (and haven't looked back since!) -- and to me, it
> sounds like asking for serious trouble.

Yeah, not a great idea, but it was the only one I had up until you replied.
Second to just installing a different distribution.  Thanks again!

- d.