Re: cfdisk says hda is smaller than it really is!

Matthias Murra wrote:
> I guess you're using a motherboard with a not-so-recent BIOS (like mine,
> which is from 1997) and a 2.0.x kernel.

My BIOS is dated 6/8/99 and the Official CD, which I am trying to install
from, uses a 2.0.36 kernel.

> Please see the Large Disk Mini HOWTO on details concerning your
> problem. I've had to deal with the same issue, and I've installed a 2.2.x
kernel
> solve it, as suggested in the HOWTO:

I've read the HOWTO, but installing a 2.2.x kernel is not an option yet
since I haven't been able to install Debian yet.  Should I install a
2.2.x-based distribution and _then_ install Debian over it?  How soon 'til a
2.2.x-based Debian?

> If you have thought about updating your system in order to run a 2.2.x
kernel, > this might just be the time to do it.

All in due time, I assure you.  Thanks anyway!

- d.