equivs doesn't work

I tried to use equivs to fake the perl package which is needed by sysutils
and probably many other packages.

I installed equivs (stable version) and put the line perl, perl5
into /etc/equivs.conf but the installation of sysutils still fails
complaining about a not installed perl5 package (btw searching
for a perl5 package on the debian site fails).

I tried to use the latest unstable version of equivs but this version
depends on a debian perl package and that is exactly one of the packages I
would like to fake with equivs.

 Werner