Re: bus error

On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 10:18:56AM +0200, Jonas Steverud wrote:
> erasmo perez <luiserasmo.p@berlin.de> writes:
>
> > does somebody knows what does "bus error" means and how can i get out of
> > this?
>
> >From signal(5) on Solaris:
> ---------8<----------
>      Events directly caused by the execution of code by a thread,
>      such as a reference to an unmapped, protected, or bad memory
>      can  generate  SIGSEGV or SIGBUS;
>
> How to stop it? Don't know.

I think these are results of programming bugs. On Solaris, the gcc
compiler switch -Wcast-align should be used (and the source then
corrected). From the manual "Using and Porting GNU CC"

-Wcast-align
Warn whenever a pointer is cast such that the required alignment of the
target is increased.  For example, warn if a char * is cast to an int *
on machines where integers can only be accessed at two- or four-byte
boundaries.  -