> > root=/dev/hda1
> > install=/boot/boot.b
> > map=/boot/map
> > vga=normal
> > delay=20
> > image=/vmlinuz
> >     label=Linux
> >     read-only
> >
> You should try 'boot=/dev/hda'. Notice that the '1' was dropped. This will put
> the boot loader on the MBR of the hard drive where you need it to call lilo on
> hda1.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I've already tried that, and have just
tried it
again to be sure. I get to the same spot, just after "Loading
Linux...............",
(sometimes "Loading Linux...............L") and it hangs. For what it's
worth, when
I've tried boot=/dev/hda before, I'd some times get to a message on the
next line
(I think it was "uncompressing kernel", can't reproduce it now) before
failure.

Thanks
--
Mark Lawrence