Re: [Debian: XFree86] Minimal requirements

At 11:46 07.08.1999 -0400, you wrote
--------> This was the original Message:
MK>Hi Michelle;
MK>
MK>I don't believe that Linux (any distribution) and XFree will both fit
MK>on your ZIP disk.

I must make a srtiped down Version

MK>You can not install X without "graphic card dependencies".  That is,
MK>to display X sessions on your computer there must be an xserver that
MK>"knows how" to speak to your graphics hardware.

Why does it work with DOS and the 640x480x256 Mode ???

MK>OTOH, you can install as many different xservers on any one machine
MK>as you want (though only one is the default).

I have seen it !!!

MK>The configuration files for X are in /etc/X11/ (and _might_ have to
MK>be different for each of your different machines).

Can I have several config files with a menu to choose which one at Startup ???

MK>NIC's are usually modules and generally other than taking up a little
MK>room on the hard drive there is usually no problem with having NIC
MK>modules for cards not actually present in the machine.

The NIC modules are very small And they will be around 200 Kbyte max.

MK>It sounds to me as though you want to do an installation on a machine
MK>(to a zip disk?) and then use that same installation on other
MK>machines?  Doing so is not "trivial"!
MK>
MK>During installation a number of things happen that are specific to
MK>the machine that the installation is actually occurring on...
MK>Hostname and IP address is set as well as some hardware identification.

To do that, I need a startup menu, because I use a
fixed Network with cable modem and DHCP and sometimes PPP

MK>While I have now several times moved either a SCSI or a IDE hard drive
MK>from one machine to another (that contained a full, bootable, Linux
MK>system) and actually had the target machine work, I believe that there
MK>was a _lot_ of luck involved!

Thanks for your answer

Webmistress Michelle
form Strasbourg