Re: [Email Converter] Eudora 3.06 (Windows) to Linux ...

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Michelle Konzack wrote:

   Hello,

   I am using a Workstation on WfW 3.11 with my E-Mailer Eudora 3.06.

   Now I upgrade to a Debian 2.1 Workstation and I like to keep all
   E-Mails (around 300 MBytes) from my Windows Workstation.  Disk
   space is no problem !!!  What is with E-Mail clients which user
   compressed Mail-Folder ???  OK, curently I have no XFree86 or
   anything else (only the base installation) and I do not know, which
   E-Mail program I can/must use.

   But I need a very good E-Mail client with the functionality of
   Eudora.

If you are interested in a GUI e-mail client, try netscape mail.  elm
is an easy-to-use terminal based e-mail client, however most people
have converted to using mutt since it is much more powerful.

   Note, that I like to install XFree86.
   But curently I get one million errors while installing !!!

   I am looking for a Mail-Folder converter.

I have attached below a perl script I wrote to convert Eudora
mailboxes (.mbx files) to unix mailbox format.  Just forwarning, I
have only had to use it a couple of times, so it isn't widely tested.
Make sure you keep your Eudora mailboxes until you know they were
converted correctly! :) Also, it doesn't deal with attachments.  You
will need to place script below in a file called eud2unix.pl and make
it executable (chmod 700 eud2unix.pl will do the trick).  You can then
copy over you Eudora inbox and execute:

  ./eud2unix.pl inbox.mbx mailbox

This will save the unix formated mailbox in the file 'mailbox'.  You
can test if it was converted succesfully by running the elm mail
client (fairly simple to use):
  elm -f mailbox

Hope this helps. Please feel free to e-mail me if you run into
problems.

Dennis
--
Dennis Kelly <dpk@egr.msu.edu>
Network Adminstrator

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

# ===========================================================================
#
# eud2unix.pl
# Coding by Dennis Kelly <dpk@egr.msu.edu>
#
# the Free Software Foundation.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# For bug reports, comments, questions, email:
#    Dennis Kelly <dpk@egr.msu.edu>
#
# ===========================================================================

if( $#ARGV != 1 )
{
    print "Usage: eud2unix.pl [eudora.mbx] [outfile]\n";
    exit 1;
}

my $flag = 0;
my $infile = shift;
my $outfile = shift;

open(FILE, "< $infile") or die "E: Cannot open $infile\n";
open(WRITE, "> $outfile" ) or die "E: Cannot write $outfile\n";
while( <FILE> )
{
    s/\r//;
    if( /^From MAILER-DAEMON/ )